Three first half goals propel Highlanders to 4-0 win over Whitecaps

After a difficult game against Varsity FC just 24 hours earlier, the Highlanders were looking for a huge bounce back game against the Whitecaps U19’s; and that is exactly what they got!

The stage was set for the Highlanders, playing in their first home game of the season against the Caps who sat second in the League 1 BC standings. The Highlanders men started strong, dominating possession, and having a couple good looks early on.

Then, in the 19th minute, Highlanders Forward Isaac Koch intercepted a loose pass in the attacking half and went on a brilliant solo run down the right side of the pitch, cutting in to his left foot, and blasting the ball into the top right corner!

Not long after, the Highlanders would go up 2-0. A well worked corner kick would eventually be delivered by Highlanders Midfielder Koby Greaves, finding the head of Michael Henman who would knock it down to Highlanders defender Armaan Nijjar to tap it in.

With no shortage of action, the rest of the first half saw chances for both sides, including a post for the Whitecaps, and a couple of great saves from both goalkeepers. However, there was one more goal to be scored, and it came at the stroke of half time. In the 45th minute, Highlanders Forward Michael Henman would find himself on the right side of the Caps 18-yard box with one defender in front of him. Henman used a lovely piece of skill to beat his defender and find attacking partner, Hussein Behery, who wrapped the ball beautifully into the far post.

With the home crowd fired up, all the pressure was now on the Highlanders to close out the match in the second half, and the Whitecaps would do everything possible to spoil their party.

An early chance for the Caps would serve as a warning for the Highlanders, as goalkeeper Trevor Schneider watched as the Caps forward smashed a ball off his near post and away to safety. This would serve as a quick wakeup call for the Highlanders as they began to regain control of the match and start to threaten the Caps back line once again.

The final dagger would come in the 64th minute when midfielder Kensho Ando intercepted a pass from the Caps defender in the middle of the park and played a lovely through ball to Michael Henman who would get fouled inside the box for a penalty shot. Highlanders veteran defender, Cody Gysbers, stepped up and calmy slotted the penalty off the right post and in.

Despite facing a 4-0 deficit, the Caps U19’s never gave up, and were nearly rewarded twice as they hit thee crossbar with two consecutive shots. However, it wasn’t in the cards for Highlanders goalkeeper Trevor Schneider to be beaten on the day.

The Highlanders held on to their clean sheet and enjoyed a 4-0 victory in their first home game of the season. With that win, the Highlanders move to a record of 1-1-1, sitting 5th in the League 1 BC standings with a game in hand on three of the four teams above them.

Next Match Details:

Victoria Highlanders FC vs. Altitude FC

Date: Sunday, June 12th

Time: 5:00pm

Location: Centennial Stadium