Week 2 Recap - Highlanders FC vs. TSS Rovers

by Fran Bartolillo

Women’s Game: VHFC 1 – 1 TSS Rovers

On the road for the second straight weekend, the Highlanders women’s team pick up a very important point against the TSS Rovers at Swangard Stadium.

TSS would open the scoring in the 28th minute off a volley from outside the box that was just outside the reach of Highlanders keeper, Milena Ramirez. This goal would spark the Highlanders, who began pushing the tempo of the game and creating some chances of their own. The Highlanders would eventually be rewarded late in the first half when a beautifully whipped ball from Paige pain off a corner kick found Highlanders defender, Mara McCleary, who put it home!

Both teams looked to pull ahead in the second half, with chances coming for both sides, but neither team was able to find the go ahead goal. The game ended as the first half did, in a 1-1 draw.

The Highlanders will have a bye week in week 3 of League 1 BC Play.

VHFC player of the game: Camryn Curts

Men’s Game: VHFC 1 – 0 TSS Rovers

A massive road win for the Highlanders men’s team, seeing them take down the defending League 1 BC champs at Swangard Stadium!

The game started with the Rovers seeing majority of the ball, and the Victoria Highlanders being very patient and discipline in their defensive shape. Both teams spent the first 15 minutes trying to figure one another out, with neither team wanting to open up too much.

As the game progressed opportunities would come, most notably a strike from TSS forward, Matteo Polisi, that just sailed over the bar.

The Highlanders would create a couple chances of their own, with a massive opportunity coming in added time of the first half. Highlanders midfielder, Jonathan Walter, pinched a ball off a complacent pass back by the Rover, and saw his left footed strike beat the keeper but hit the outside of the post. The match would stay level going into halftime.

The Highlanders looked rejuvenated in the second half and began to take a bit more control of the game. Both teams looked to play a bit more open, with the Highlanders recognizing the new spaces available and getting in behind the Rovers defense quite a bit.

Finally, in the 83rd minute, the deadlock was broken. Highlanders winger, David Schaefer, had a strike from the top of the box that was blocked by a Rovers defender and the ball flew up in the air. Everyone appeared to freeze except for Highlander’s substitute, Anthony Preston, who tracked the loose ball in the air and  volleyed it in to the back of the net.

The Highlanders would close out the game and take all three points on the road.

The Highlanders will have a bye week in week 3 of League 1 BC Play.

VHFC player of the game: Anthony Preston